April 13


Non Lucrative Visa and Health Insurance for Spain

This blog outlines the main points about getting a Non Lucrative Visa in Spain (NLV) and Health Insurance requirements for a NLV. The first point to mention is that before you apply for a NLV you need a NIE.

What is a NIE

An NIE is a fiscal identification number that allows the Spanish government to coordinate your financial affairs. It is not a social security number, but the NIE number is required to get a social security number up and running and eventually a work contract. An NIE number is also needed to buy a vehicle, property and other assets in Spain of high value. Spanish citizens also have this number however it is represented as a NIF number. As an expat in Spain you are required to carry ID and the NIE is the best ID to carry in Spain as the authorities can quickly verify your status with this ID.

An NIE in the past was issued as a convenient ID card that slotted in your wallet. Then probably due to the costs involved this was switched to a green color A4 piece of paper. Now a less fancy green card is given and a white A4 document. The NIE once issued will not change and there is no need to renew it.

How to apply for a NIE

In the past you could apply by visiting the local police station early in the morning and standing in a queue with a passport size photo and a rental contract as well as a water or electric bill.

However now days we would recommend contacting a local “gestor” who act as administrators who specialise in this area. In our opinion doing it through a gestor will save you time and money.

Non Lucrative Visa Requirements for spain

The normal methods up until Jan 2021 where relatively easy to gain residence in Spain. However with Brexit the usual method of obtaining residence has been blocked as British citizens are no longer European citizens. Other non EU citizens also will have to apply for a NLV if they want to reside in Spain over 3 months at any one time. This is unless a golden visa is applied for or you have a work contract.

non lucrative visa

The Non Lucrative Visa is now one of the popular ways to gain Spanish Residence

Cost for the application of the Non Lucrative Visa

The average cost for a couple applying for this visa is on average 2000 euros for the paper work and admin.

This 2000 euros includes: Criminal history cert which has an average cost of 50 pounds each, 516 euros each for the visa application, other costs involve translations and embassy visit costs. Lastly there is the cost of lawyer fees to process the visa

Health insurance is an additional cost to the above amount.

Summary of requirements for Non Lucrative Visa

  • The first requirement is a police record on any criminal history
  • Secondly proof of income for one person of approx. 26000 euros a year. Each dependant must then have proof of 7000 euros of funds.
  • Lastly Medical insurance with no co-payments paid annually (sin co pago).

Common Questions regarding Health Insurance when apply for visa

The most common question is if the policy must be annually paid. The simple answer is yes. In some provinces such as Barcelona this is more flexible. However, most Spanish provinces require that the policy is paid on a yearly basis.

The policy must have no excess. In other words it must be set up with unlimited cover in Spain whereby you never pay for any use of the policy.

Co payment means the same as Excess. In Spanish the translation is SIN CO PAGO.

Having no co payments does increase the cost of the insurance but for the visa to be accepted there is no other option. On renewal of the policy you can look to add a co payment which will reduce the cost of the insurance policy

What are the steps to apply for Private Health Insurance in Spain

1. Firstly you will have to find a agent or broker that can arrange the policy. We would not recommend trying to go direct to insurers as you have to understand the small print

2. Agents may only work with insurers who only accept NIE numbers. Brokers on the other hand work with insurers that will accept your passport to start the health insurance policy

3. Once you have found a broker or agent that accepts your passport, you will have to discuss which Health insurance company best suits your needs

4. If you do not have a bank set up yet in Spain there are a few providers who accept your credit or debit card as long as they are Mastercard or Visa. There are also options for EU Ibans although UK Ibans are no longer accepted due to Brexit.

5. Policies can be set up within 24 hrs once an application has been filled in and copies of passports provided


You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

  1. What a really <a href="https://www.makeoverarena.com/best-web-hosting-services/">nice blog</a> you have here. It is so enlightening and i sometimes wish my blog can be as beautiful and responsive as yours. Please <a href="https://www.cinegists.com/discover-card-login-credit-card">see my blog</a> and see if you have any tips for me… It would be highly appreciated. BTW I bookmarked your website.


{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Contact us for a no obligation Quote